Pros: Great value, Quality, protection
Cons: does not dispense heat well
The Hackva helmet replaced my Vaughn vm7500 that failed to protect me. This is like comparing a Hyndai Elantra (Vaughn vm7500) to a 1974 Cadillac DeVille (Hackva). For those who don't get the analogy, please look up the the automobiles.
* Its like wearing a tank. Your head is protected. After 5 practice sessions and 2 games, protection is excellent.
* Excellent support from both TotalHockey and Hackva direct. If your helmet does not fit exactly, you can reach out to Hackva direct for options.
* Hackva stands by their product when you have questions/issues. (that was not my experience with my Vaughn mask)
* The chin cup slips off your chin if you are clean shaven. I require a "5-oclock shadow" when I wear the mask so the chin cup does not slip off my chin during play. I didn't have that problem with my Vaughn because they used fabric in the chin cup, but the Hackva is all foam and it gets slippery when you perspire . Not a deal breaker, you can always replace the chin cup.
* The certified standard cage does block visibility. The bars are thick and the horizontal bar does cross my line of sight. The pro is the thick bars are strong in absorbing the shots, but the thick bars also limit visibility. Not a deal breaker, you can always replace the cage with their cat-eye option.
* Expect to sweat when wearing this mask...it is hot. There are only 2 vent holes on top, and it does get hot inside.
I rated this 4/5 stars because of the heat issue. Hackva could clearly drill 2 more holes on top of the mask for ventilation based on the foam layout they used, why they did not do this I do not know. But clearly for me only having 2 vent holes only on top does make you sweat more than my prior mask which had 4 vent holes to release the heat.